Bhartia is the daughter of the industrialist and Congress party member KK Birla, and the grand-daughter of GD Birla, one of the Birla family patriarchs. The KK Birla family owned 75.36 per cent stake in HT Media, valued at Rs 8.34 billion in 2004. She grew up in Kolkata and had her schooling at Loreto House. She is a graduate of Calcutta University, and is married to Shyam Sunder Bhartia, Chairman of the Rs. 14-billion pharmaceutical firm Jubilant LifeScience Limited (a spinoff from the earlier chemicals venture Vam Organics). Shyam Sunder Bhartia is son of Late Mohan Lal Bhartia. Their son Shamit Bhartia is also a Director at the HT Media group, and also looks after lifestyle businesses such as the Domino’s Pizza franchise and also convenience store chain Monday to Sunday in Bangalore. In 2012, Shamit Bhartia married Nayantara Kothari, daughter of Bhadrashyam Kothari,
Hoạt động và sự nghiệp
- The media baroness serves as chairperson and editorial director for India’s largest listed media company, HT Media.
- The group also operates four FM radio stations and multiple websites, including job portal Shine and cinema portal Desimartini.
- In 2013, Bhartia launched the business weekly MintAsia in Singapore and then bought Webitude, a social and digital media outfit.
- HT Media saw profits tumble in Q2 2018 because of weak advertising spending, the rising cost of newsprint and the depreciation of the rupee.
- HT Media’s tutoring arm, Studymate, has expanded into coaching students for the admissions exam required by India’s elite engineering schools.