Kersti Kaljulaid Estonian pronunciation: [ˈkersti ˈkɑljulɑid̥]; born 30 December 1969.
In 1987, Kaljulaid graduated from Tallinn Secondary School no. 44. During her studies there, she was a member of the Students’ Scientific Association, specializing in ornithology. In 1992, she graduated from University of Tartu cum laudeas a biologist. She is a member of Estonian female student corporation, Filiae Patriae. In 2001, she graduated from the University of Tartu with an MBA in business management. Her thesis was titled as “Riigi poolt asutatud sihtasutuste juhtimissüsteemi täiustamine” or “The improvement of the management system of state-founded foundations” in English.
Besides Estonian, Kaljulaid is fluent in English, Finnish, French and to a certain extent, Russian.
Hoạt động và sự nghiệp
- Kaljulaid is the first female president of Estonia and fourth head of state since its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.
- A champion of digital revolution, she executed the e-dentity program, the first country-wide platform allowing citizens to pay taxes and vote online.
- In 2019 Estonia will become the first country to offer a visa for ‘digital nomads’, allowing visitors to work in the country for up to a year.
- Kaljulaid aims to attract innovative talent to the country, which despite its small size is home to four Unicorns, startups valued at over $1 billion.
- Kaljulaid ran the 2018 NYC Marathon during a working tour of the U.S., finishing in just over four hours.