Zhou Qunfei (Chinese: 周群飞) was born in 1970.
Zhou Qunfei was born in 1970 in Xiangxiang, Hunan province, China, the youngest of three children in a poor family. Before she was born, her father, a former soldier, became partially blinded and lost a finger in an industrial accident in the 1960s. A skilled craftsman, he supported the family by making bamboo baskets and chairs and repairing bicycles. Her mother died when she was five. As a child she helped her family raise animals for sustenance and small profit. Although she was the only one out of her siblings to attend secondary school and showed promise as a bright student, she dropped out at age 16 and moved in with her uncle’s family to become a migrant worker in Shenzhen, the special economic zone in Guangdong province. While she briefly considered pursuing a government job for its stability, she discarded the idea as lacking a diploma would make it difficult to do so.
In Shenzhen she deliberately chose to work for companies near Shenzhen University, so she could take part-time courses at the university. She studied many subjects and passed the examinations to be certified for accounting, computer operations, customs processing, and even became licensed for driving commercial vehicles. Her biggest regret is not having studied English.
Hoạt động và sự nghiệp
- Zhou Qunfei chairs Lens Technology, a smartphone screen supplier whose customers include Samsung, LG, Microsoft and Nokia.
- A migrant factory worker as a teenager, Zhou has gone on to become one of the world’s richest self-made women.
- The consumer electronics supplier also laminates display panels for Tesla.
- Zhou first took the plunge as an entrepreneur in 1993 when she set up a watch parts company with relatives in an apartment in Shenzhen.
- Lens Technology went public on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange in March 2015, 22 years after she founded the company.
- While on the 2018 Forbes Rich List, Qunfei has seen her fortune fall driven by U.S. tariffs on China, and Elon Musk’s resignation as Tesla chairman.